September’s bonus recipe is here. It’s super fast and easy to make for during the week. You can easily prep the lentils for this dish on the weekend and buy pre-sliced mushrooms to shave some of the time off during the week. Don’t skimp on the fresh basil or parmesan cheese because they help add flavor to this dish.
Whole Wheat Pasta with Lentils and Mushrooms
This recipe combines the earthiness of lentils and mushrooms to create a flavorful pasta dish.
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 8 oz whole wheat pasta
- 1 T olive oil
- 1# Mushrooms
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Step 1 Rinse lentils then cover with 2 cups salted water and bring to a boil. When they reach a boil, turn down the heat and allow them to simmer until done, usually 30 minutes or so.
- Step 2 While lentils are cooking, slice mushrooms, mince garlic and chop the basil. Begin to heat the water to cook pasta.
- Step 3 When lentils are done. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to instructions on the package. When pasta is done, first save about 1 cup of hot pasta water and then place the rest into a strainer to drain off remaining water.
- Step 4 Heat olive oil in sauce pan. When heated add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Then add mushrooms and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Last add lentils and salt and pepper to taste. Once everything is heated through, add pasta and toss to coat. If it seems a bit dry, add some of the pasta water until it gets to the right consistency.
- Step 5 Serve it up topped with shredded parmesan and fresh basil.
**Nutritional Facts were calculated using recipe input in MyFitnessPal. No data was available on Vitamin D in this recipe.