Want to know how to make your own soy crackers? Just keep reading. These crackers are full of fiber, protein and taste great too!!
I recently started making my own soy milk. This is a win win in my book because not only do you get soy milk from this process BUT you also get the solids that are left from the soaked soy beans. This soy pulp, called okara, makes a great addition to a variety of dishes such as soups, baked goods and more. So I headed to the internet to explore its uses and then to the kitchen to create this yummy recipe for homemade crackers.
Making these simple soy crackers
It’s pretty simple to make, since all you do is mix up the ingredients, roll it out and cut it into shapes. They are then baked in the oven for 15 minutes or so. The results are these delicious, herby and salty homemade crackers. I like to enjoy them as an afternoon snack with some hummus or avocado!! Try them out with this Black Bean Hummus recipe. You can also serve them alongside your favorite soup or salad.
The trick with soy beans is that they do need to be cooked to consume them. The pulp cooks about 10 minutes during the process of making soy milk and then again when baking the crackers. This process helps to make the soy more digestible.
You can learn how to make your own soy milk by reading the post, Making Soy Milk and Okra at Home. It’s not too challenging — I promise. And the best thing is now you have the goods to make these delicious soy crackers!!
Rosemary Thyme Soy Crackers
- 1 1/2 cups okara one batch from ½ cup of soy beans
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T fresh rosemary
- 1 T fresh thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Sea salt to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Mix together all ingredients in a bowl. Knead dough to form a firm mixture, adding water or milk if needed. Try not to over mix as the dough will become tough.
- Form into balls depending on space you have to roll out.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface.
- Roll out dough ball(s) to 1 cm thick. Cut as desired with a cutter or simply into strips or triangles with a knife.
- Layout crackers on a baking sheet lined lightly sprayed with baking spray. Bake in 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and lightly browned.
Did you like this recipe for these soy crackers? Tell me about it in the comments below!!! And be sure to give it a 5-star rating in the recipe card.
I think you will like these recipes as well!!