Beets work great in a salad especially when paired with fruit, nuts and a salty cheese such as feta or goat cheese. In this roasted beetroot salad recipe the beets are combined with Granny Smith apples, which add a nice tart flavor and crunch to the salad, toasted walnuts as a source of healthy fat and feta cheese. A quick homemade Apple Cider Vinaigrette brings all the flavors together.
A bit more about beets
Eating beets is great for overall health! If you don’t like them, I get it. They have a unique flavor that I think you either love or hate. I’m glad I like them and here’s some of my top tips for eating beets.
Fresh is better
Yes they are a bit more work but they just taste so much better. Something just happens when veggies are canned that alters the flavor and texture of the beets. So when possible, take the extra time and cook them up fresh. And if time is tight, you can even eat raw beets adding them to salads and sandwiches.
Heart healthy food
Beets may have a blood pressure lowering benefit thanks to their nitrate content. The nitrates in the beets are converted to nitric oxide in the body which helps to dilate the blood vessels, improving blood flow and reducing blood pressure.
We eat with our eyes first and the dark purple-red color of beets adds a contrast of colors when added to salads or mixed with lighter colored veggies. This purple or red color comes from the betalains in the beets and also has an anti-inflammatory effect on the body and thus may be used to reduce inflammation in the body.
Good for the brain
As someone with a family history of Alzheimer’s, I take brain health very seriously. The nitrates mentioned above help improve blood flow, this effect carries over the brain as well and may increase the amount of blood flow to the brain.
Roasted beetroot salad with green apple, feta and walnuts
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 2 cup roasted beets diced
- 4 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 8 cups mixed lettuce or salad greens
- 2/3 cup red onion sliced
- 2 ea Granny Smith apple de-seeded and sliced
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 T shallots minced
- 1 tsp sugar or honey optional
- Place walnut pieces in a skillet over medium high heat and lightly toast. Be sure to occasionally shake the skillet to move the walnuts around. When toasted, remove from heat and allow them to cool while you prep the salad.
- Mix all ingredients together in a blend and until well-combined.
- Combine the mixed greens, beets, red onion and apple in a large bowl. Toss with vinaigrette.
- Top with walnuts before serving.
Did you make this roasted beetroot salad recipe? What did you think? Are you a fan of beets or not? Please leave me a comment here on the blog about your experience with this recipe. Or if you prefer, send me a private message using the chat function in the bottom right corner of the screen.
Also, be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card and tag @cookeatlivelove when you post photos so I can see your creations.