Fall is in full swing now in the northern hemisphere and the temperatures are dropping. As the weather gets cooler we naturally begin to crave more hearty feeling and heavy foods. And this recipe for a vegetable lentil stew is perfect for a cool or cold night. Making you feel warm from the inside.
Cooking vegetable lentil stew
This vegetable lentil stew is super simple to make. The ingredients are basic and likely items you stock in your cabinet on a regular basis. Lentils cook much faster than other forms of legumes so this dinner won’t take any longer than one hour to prepare, most of it is cooking time allowing you to step away for a bit to do other tasks.
Save some time
Making vegetable lentil stew definitely takes no more than one hour to prepare from start to finish. But it’s also the perfect dish for a slow cooker or to meal prep.
One of my favorite kitchen tools for saving time is the slow cooker and using the slow cooker is a great way to prepare this vegetable lentil stew. The total time to prep and get the items into the slow cooker is about 15-20 minutes.
To get started simply saute the vegetables in step one. Then add all the lentils, diced tomato and lentils as indicated in step two. Plus throw in the thyme and marjoram and program your slow cooker for two and a half hours to three hours.
When you are ready to serve up the dish, add the kale, salt and pepper and cook just long enough to wilt the kale, about 10 minutes.
Make the stew ahead
Lentil vegetable stew is also perfectly to making ahead when you have some free time. I recommend cooking the entire stew but wait to add the kale until the point when you reheat the dish for service. The kale loses more of its green color when it sits and is reheated.
If possible, make the potatoes at the time you want to serve. I think they are just better that way. But if you are really pressed for time and want to make ahead, you will need to add some milk or water to the potatoes to reheat.
Cooking tools for making this recipe
The best way to make perfect fluffy mashed potatoes is using a Potato Ricer such as this OXO Stainless Steel Ricer
Vegetable Lentil Stew with Smashed Potatoes
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 leeks white part only, chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot small dice
- 4 cups kale chopped
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes including liquid
- 3/4 cup lentils, dry brown or green
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 pounds yellow potatoes
- 1/2 cup plain soy milk or other plant-milk
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup parsley leaves minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
Prepare lentil stew
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add leeks, mushrooms, garlic and carrots. Cook for about five minutes or until leeks have softened.
- Add the diced tomatoes with liquid, lentils and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the kale, thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until lentils are done.
- While the lentils are cooking, cut the potatoes into 1-2 inch cubes. Cover with water and bring to boil over medium high heat. Cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- When the potatoes are ready, remove from heat and drain in a colander. Once drained, return to the pot. Use a masher to mashed potatoes until desired smoothness.
- Add olive oil, milk, parsley, salt and pepper to potatoes. Mix until combined.
- Serve lentil stew in a bowl over smashed potatoes..
Did you make this dish? Did you use one of the shortcut methods? I’d like to hear about your cooking appearance so please leave me a comment here or send me a message using the chat button on the bottom right part of your screen. Also, if you post photos be sure to tag @cookeatlivelove so I can see your creations!