The everything bagel is my favorite NY style bagel! It’s a combination of all the BEST bagel topping flavors. Who knew the seasoning had so many other uses? It’s great on avocado toast for that little something extra and I even like to sprinkle my eggs in the morning with it. But it really shines here in this everything bagel crusted tofu recipe transferring plain old boring tofu into a crunchy and super flavorful topping. And, I discovered the tofu works as the perfect protein topping for a vegetarian Cobb salad.
The Cobb Salad
The Cobb salad has been around since 1939 and it’s said it originated at The Brown Derby, a restaurant in Hollywood, California. The basic ingredients of the classc version is an assortment of greens, tomato, avocado, egg, chives, bacon, cheese and chicken. I’ve made some adjustments in this vegetarian version using crusted tofu but overall I tried to keep the spirit of the Cobb salad alive.
Preparing this recipe
Overall this recipe is super simple to make. It just takes a little bit of prep time, chopping some vegetables and it’s ready. This tofu crusted topped salad is perfect for a lunch, light dinner or even to take on the go!
Meal prep the tofu
Prepping the tofu is by far the longest part of this recipe. First it needs to be pressed to remove excess water in the tofu. This helps with the final texture of the cooked tofu but also lets it absorb more of the flavor in the marinade rather than watering the marinade down. And then it needs to marinate for about 15 minutes.
The process for these two steps is about 30 minutes plus or minus a few steps in the prep process. If you don’t have that kind of time you can certainly press the tofu overnight or throughout your work day in the refrigerator. Then you will only need to marinate the tofu for 30 minutes saving yourself a bit of time during a busy work week.
Transport on the go
This salad is perfect to take on the go! You can easily prep up the tofu in advance and chop your veggies for the salad the night before. Some recommendations if you decide to take it with you…
- Transport the tofu in a separate container.
- Keep the dressing separate and add to the veggies before serving then top with the tofu.
- Squeeze a bit of lemon or lime juice over the avocado after cutting to keep it from turning brown.
- Transport in a jar begin by layering the tomato on the bottom topped with the lettuce, egg, cheese and avocado. Add dressing and shake. Put into bowl and top with tofu!
Everything Bagel Crusted Tofu Cobb Salad
- 1 14 oz package extra firm tofu
- 1 T white miso
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 T olive oil
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ½ cup everything bagel seasoning
- ½ head romaine lettuce chopped
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 2 eggs boiled and chopped
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp mustard
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees about 10 minutes before you are ready to cook tofu.
- Remove the tofu from the package and place between paper towels or clean dish towel. Top with a book, pan or other heavy object. Allow to sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix together the oil, miso and red wine vinegar. After pressing the water out of the tofu slice the tofu into ¼ inch pieces and then into 1” squares. Place into a container with a lid and pour the marinade over the tofu. Allow to marinate for 15 minutes in the refrigerator. Turn container over several times while marinating to ensure that all the tofu gets coated.
- Mix together cornstarch and seasonings and place into a shallow bowl or plate.
- When tofu is ready, dip each piece of tofu in the coating. Place on a baking tray lightly coated with baking spray.
- When all the tofu is coated, place into a 400 degree oven and bake 20 or until slightly browned turning over halfway during cooking time.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving with salad.
- While tofu is marinating, place all the ingredients into a jar and shake well until blended. Set aside until ready to serve salad.
- Wash and chop all vegetables as indicated above.
- To assemble the salad, place the lettuce in a bowl or plate. Top the salad with each ingredient separately in rows or clumps. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
Shop this recipe
NOTE: This post includes affiliate links which means that if you click through and purchase, I do receive some small financial benefit at no additional cost to you which helps me to continue to provide you with free content.
Did you make this recipe? How did you like the everything bagel crusted tofu? It’s one of my favorite tofu preparations ever!
NOTE: You can also make the tofu and serve it as an appetizer with a delicious dipping sauce! Try it I promise it’s fantastic.
Leave me a comment here on the blog or you can use the chat feature in the bottom right corner of the screen to send me a direct message.
Post your photos and be sure to tag @cookeatlivelove so I can see your creations.
And if you liked this recipe, please take a moment to give it a 5-star rating in the recipe card.