Stuffed mushrooms are always a big hit at any party I’ve ever catered or hosted!! So today I am sharing with you a vegetarian lentil stuffed mushroom option for your next big event!!
I mostly eat a plant-based or vegetarian diet. And when asked to bring a dish to a recent party, I wanted to take something that I knew would fit my eating style, but also a dish that my friends would appreciate and eat as well.
You see, just because I choose to eat in a particular way doesn’t mean that I expect everyone around me to do the same. I fully respect everyone’s right to choose what they want or don’t want to eat. However, it’s also important to me when creating vegetarian recipes to make it so amazing, no one will even realize that there isn’t any meat in it.
So as I started thinking about what to bring, there were a couple considerations. First, it was important that the food be easy to make as I didn’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen. Also, I wanted it to be relatively inexpensive since I was cooking for a crowd. Last, the dish needed to be easy to transport since I had to travel across town.
I thought back to all the parties I catered years ago as a catering manager, and I remembered that stuffed mushrooms were always a big hit!!
Creating a recipe for vegetarian lentil stuffed mushrooms
I really love the combination of mushrooms and lentils. They both have an earthy flavor and they combine well with similar flavors. My goal with this recipe was to create a super tasty, protein packed vegetarian stuffed mushroom using lentils.
If you like the filling for this, you could also consider making it as a filling for portobello mushroom caps and turning it into a meal. Served alongside a tasty risotto or quinotto would be an awesome combination.
Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms with Lentils and Herbs
- 20- 24 medium mushrooms about 1-2” in diameter
- 4 – 6 stalks green onions white and green parts (about ½ cup chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- ½ cup fresh parsley loosely packed
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ cup cooked brown or green lentils drained of all liquid
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese plus 1T to sprinkle
- 2 T white wine
- 2 T water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C.
- Rinse mushrooms to remove the dirt. Take out the stems and place mushroom caps with the tops facing down in a baking dish lightly sprayed with baking spray.
- Place the green onions in a food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped. Next add the garlic, parsley and thyme and pulse again until everything is finely chopped and combined.
- In a bowl combine the breadcrumbs, mixture from the food processor and lentils. Next add the olive oil and parmesan cheese. Mix everything together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pack each mushroom cap with the lentil mixture, pressing gently down to make sure there is plenty of stuffing in it. You want it to be heaping on the top of the mushroom. Place stuffed mushroom caps into baking dish.
- Sprinkle tops lightly with a bit more parmesan cheese. Pour 2 T white wine and 2 T water into bottom of baking dish. Cover with foil and place in a heated oven for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and cook another 10-1;5 minutes to brown the tops and heat mushrooms through.
Did you like this recipe? Please leave me a comment here and also don’t forget to rate the recipe 5-stars in the recipe card.
Here are some other great vegetarian foods to consider for your next party.
A dip works great for parties!! Serve it up with the plantain chips, tortilla chips or fresh veggies!!!
Make these little chia pudding jars into small little shooters for a cute and clever dessert for your next party!!