Try this super yummy Venezuelan sauce called Guasacaca!!! I first experienced Guasacaca in this amazing restaurant in Lima called Merito. I’m not sure I exactly achieved the exact same results as what I had for dinner at the restaurant, but this recipe still tastes delicious. It has a flavor very similar to Chimichurri sauce, but the addition of the avocado makes it much creamier in texture.
You can use it with just about anything as a dipping or drizzling sauce. It makes a great accompaniment to Venezuelan arepas. For me, I particularly enjoy it with yucca fries or yucca arepas!!
- 1 ripe avocado seeded and roughly diced
- 1/2 small onion quartered
- 1/2 small green bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves packed in cup, roughly chopped
- 2 T parsley leaves packed in cup, roughly chopped
- 3 T white vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 T olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place all the ingredients except olive oil in a blender or food processor. Pulse to chop ingredients.
- Slowly add the olive oil as the blender or processor is running.
- Blend until creamy and smooth.
Making your own Guasacaca
Of course, this Guasacaca is perfect just the way it is. I like the brightness and freshness that it brings to whatever food you pair with it. It has the flavors of cilantro, parsley, garlic and vinegar.
Spice it up!!!
Sometimes, I want a bit of spiciness to my guasacaca sauce. When I do, I simply mix in a spicy pepper such as a jalapeno.
More cilantro flavor and thinner sauce!!!
Also, if you really want the flavor of the cilantro, parsley and garlic to shine through in the guasacaca sauce, your best bet is to decrease the avocado by half. It will make slightly less sauce but will also be thinner and the flavor of the herbs will shine through more.
Make up a batch of this sauce and try out your hand at making Venezuelan arepas!!
Here are some of my other FAVORITE sauces you can make to add punch to your food!!