Craving chocolate and sweet foods is a natural thing for all of us. Our bodies are actually wired to respond in that exact way to these foods. These frozen chocolate bananas are a perfect way to indulge in a bit of chocolate!!
Why make frozen chocolate bananas!
Super simple and easy
You only need two ingredients, the chocolate and banana plus your toppings. And if you don’t have skewers simply do them without and let everyone just pick them up with their fingers. They do require some time in the freezer so you will need to plan ahead to make these treats.
Kid friendly to eat and make.
So get the kids, grandkids or whatever young one in your life together to help you out. Teaching kids to prepare food and be in the kitchen is a great activity for them that also works to build a healthy relationship with food.
Easy to eat and perfect for a party or get together
Stick or no stick, these treats are super easy to eat in a bite or two which makes them a great food for the summer time BBQ or other event.
You don’t need much to make these frozen chocolate bananas. Basically just chocolate and bananas!! But one of the key components is the chocolate bar. I recommend choosing a quality bar made with 70% cacao or higher. These bars typically contain less sugar than your basic Hershey’s milk chocolate bar.
Eating cacao, the fruit that chocolate is made from, actually has some health benefits. Of course, you still need to watch how much you dark chocolate you indulge in since it does contain sugar.
Top health benefits of dark chocolate
- Powerful antioxidant — quite possibly one of the best antioxidants that exists!!!
- Lower the risk of heart disease
- Contains nutrients including fiber, magnesium, iron, copper, manganese and more!
- Great for your skin — thanks to the flavonols which protect your skin from the sun and also increases the blood flow to the skin!!
- May improve blood flow and brain function
Just remember, that these benefits doesn’t mean you should indulge in large amounts of dark chocolate since it does contribute calories, sugar and fat as well! But eaten in moderation it can definitely be a part of a healthy eating plan!
Choose your toppings
The sky is the limit when it comes to toppings. But basically you can use anything that is dry and will stick to the melted chocolate easily.
If you are looking for healthy additions think of shredded coconut, cacao nibs, popped amaranth or crushed nuts
Frozen Chocolate Bananas on a Stick
- 4 medium bananas
- 7 oz dark chocolate bar 70% cacao or higher
- 24 heavy duty skewers
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Popped amaranth
- Multi-colored sprinkles
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Chopped nuts
- Cacao nibs
- Crushed cookies
- Crushed pretzels
- Peel and cut each bananas into six pieces. Insert skewers into each piece of banana and layout on a sheet pan lined with parchment or wax paper. Place in the freezer for about two hours or until frozen.
- When bananas are ready, melt chocolate. You can do this in the microwave or using a double boiler. If you use the microwave, do it in short intervals so you don’t burn the chocolate. As it melts, stir with a whisk until it is smooth.
- Remove bananas from freezer and dip in chocolate coat all sides.
- Then dip into your toppings. Return each banana to tray.
- Return each banana to tray. When all are dipped return to freezer for 20-30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
Did you try out this recipe? I want to know how it went!! Did you make it with your kids? Tell me all about in a comment here on the blog! Plus, don’t forget to give the recipe a 5-star rating above if you liked it!!
If you like these frozen chocolate bananas, check out these other recipes with cacao!