Grain and legume bowls like this Vegan Mediterranean Bulgur Bowl are perfect for meal prep. Why? Here are the top 3 reasons:
- The ingredients are all easily made and packaged ahead of time.
- Everything transports really well.
- No need to heat up — simply toss everything together and you are ready in no time!
The ingredients for Mediterranean Bulgur Bowls
Bulgur is one of my favorite grains to use. It cooks more quickly than most other whole grains and you can have a batch ready in less than 15 minutes. Plus, I really enjoy the chewy texture of the bulgur. It does come from wheat so it isn’t gluten free and if you are needing to avoid gluten due to intolerance or celiac disease, substitute quinoa or brown rice for the bulgur.
Hummus Dressing is a new one for me but oh my, it’s so easy!!! Simply thin out a bit of hummus with some water and flavor it up with a bit of lemon and Dijon mustard. You can even use a purchased flavored hummus for a bit more flavor. Plus you get a bit of a protein boost since the hummus is made from chickpeas.
Roasting the veggies really takes this salad to the next level and adds so much flavor!! Eggplant, zucchini and onion really hold up well to prepare ahead of time so you can make this up days in advance.
Chickpeas really work the best with the Mediterranean flavors in this dish and also pair well with the roasted veggies and other components of this salad. I like roasting them a bit so the outside gets a crunchy while the inside stays soft.
Vegan Mediterranean Bulgur Bowl
- 2 cups bulgur cooked
Roasted Vegetables & Chickpeas
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 small red onion
- 1½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 4 cups leafy greens spinach, kale or other
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1½ cups chickpeas, cooked or one can, drained
- ½ cup hummus
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 T lemon juice
- 24 kalamata olives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Roasted Vegetables & Chickpeas
- Combine oregano, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Drain the chickpeas well. Toss with 1 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with half of the seasoning mix. Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until lightly crisp. Stirring them at least once halfway through the cooking time. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- While the chickpeas cook, slice the eggplant and zucchini into quarters lengthwise and then into 1/2 inch slices. Cut onion into large chunks and break apart. Place eggplant, zucchini, onion and tomatoes in a bowl and drizzle with 2 tsp olive oil and remainder of seasoning mix. Toss to coat veggies with oil and seasoning.
- Place into oven and cook for 15 minutes or until veggies are tender and slightly browned. Flip them over halfway through so that both sides get a bit browned. When ready, remove from oven and allow vegetables to cool.
- Place the hummus, lemon juice and dijon in a blender. Add a bit of water to thin it out. Blend until smooth
Preparation to serve
- To eat immediately. Toss the bulgur, veggies, greens and dressing together. Split between four bowls. Top with olives and chickpeas.
- To prepare the salads to travel with you for lunch. Place bulgur, veggies and chickpeas in a container. Transport the greens and dressing separately and toss to combine when ready to eat.
Did you make this recipe? Was it easy? Did it taste good? Please leave me a comment below and tell me your thoughts!! Also, please rate the recipe in the card!