I love food!! I especially love ethnic food!! But if I had to pick a favorite without a doubt it would be Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine. When I am craving tacos or tostadas this recipe hits all the flavors! And the baked tostadas are perfectly crispy while also being a bit healthier than the fried version.
I grew up in Texas and lived there for more than half life. Which means, that I ate a lot of Tex-Mex food and Mexican food over the years. Tex-mex is a fusion of Mexican and American foods created by the Tejano people in Texas. It is different in many ways from authentic Mexican food but I LOVE then both! And, the spicier the better for me!
I love that with Intuitive Eating, I am able to enjoy foods that I would previously have thought to be off limits! As a dieter, I always felt like Mexican food was too unhealthy and high in calories and fat and would often avoid it. Now I allow myself the chance to enjoy it more frequently without overeating and guilt. What foods do find that you absolutely LOVE but avoid for similar reasons? If you are interested in finding out more about how Intuitive Eating frees you from food rules and restriction, contact me for more information!!
I hope you enjoy this baked tostadas recipe as much as I do! It’s truly one of my favorites.
Baked Tostadas with Mexican Street Corn + Mashed Beans
Mexican Street Corn
- 2 cups corn kernels fresh*
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup cojita cheese or parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 T mayonnaise
- 1 T fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups pinto or black beans mashed
- ¼ tsp chipotle chili powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- baking spray**
- jalapeno or other spicy pepper sliced (optional)
- lime wedges for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mexican Street Corn
- Toss corn kernels with olive oil, spread on sheet pan and place in oven. Cook for 20 minutes stirring at several intervals so corn browns more evenly.
- When ready, remove corn from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Combine chopped cilantro and parmesan cheese and set aside. Add the mayo, yogurt, red onion, lime juice, cilantro, chili powder and 1/2 of parmesan cheese mixture to the corn. Reserve the rest of parmesan cheese for garnish.
- While corn is cooking, place the beans in a medium pot on medium low heat. Add the other ingredients and a bit of water to get the right consistency. Cover and allow to slowly cook until hot, adding water as needed. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Lay tortillas out on a baking sheet. Lightly coat with baking spray and a bit of salt. Place in the oven and cook for five minutes or until crispy. After five minutes, watch closely so they don’t burn.
- When tortillas are crispy, remove and top each with ¼ cup of beans and ¼ cup of corn. Garnish with sliced peppers, sprinkle of cheese and lime wedge.
- The salad is best served warm or at room temperature. If you prep ahead, simply wait to add mayonnaise, yogurt and cheese until just before service. Remove corn from the refrigerator in advance to take a bit of the chill off. Add the mayo, yogurt and half of the cheese and mix well. Put in serving dish and garnish with reserved cheese.
- Use canned beans if time is tight. Also beans can be made in advance, but you may need to add some water when reheating.
Did you make this recipe for Baked Tostadas with Mexican Street Corn + Refried Beans? If so, please be sure to tag me on Instagram @cookeatlivelove so I can see your results! What did you think of the flavors? Tell me all about it in the comments and be sure to rate the recipe card 5-stars!
If you enjoyed this recipe, check these out!